The mission of the Academy of Notre Dame counseling program is to provide a comprehensive, developmental and inclusive program, which encourages and supports all students in maximizing their academic, personal and career potential.
School counselors are professional student advocates who, in partnership with other educators, parents, and community resources, facilitate a support system to ensure academic access and equity regardless of circumstances. School counselors monitor and support all students in their quest to become highly qualified college applicants, who believe it is their duty to contribute positively and honorably to the complex global society of the 21st century.
The counseling department at Notre Dame encourages the following mindsets for all students based on the American School Counselor Association Mindsets and Behaviors for Student Success:
- Belief in development of whole self, including a healthy balance of mental, social/emotional and physical well-being.
- Self-confidence in ability to succeed.
- Sense of belonging in the school environment.
- Understanding that postsecondary education and life-long learning are necessary for long-term career success.
- Belief in using abilities to their fullest to achieve high-quality results and outcomes.
- Positive attitude toward work and learning.
Notre Dame school counselors address the above skills and attitudes with students during classroom guidance lessons, small group settings, as well as on an individual basis. Counseling services are available for all students.
Two full time Learning Support Specialists, Amanda O'Toole and Francesca de la Toree-Shu, are employed by The Academy of Notre Dame to facilitate the effective, independent learning of students in alignment with the school mission, in order to enable students to develop the skills and desire necessary for life-long learning and to empower students to be leaders.
It is our belief that:
- Each individual serves the community with unique gifts.
- Diversity enriches our community and challenges us.
- Confident and competent young women emerge from a community that values individual worth and academic rigor.
For more information and updates from the Counseling Department please visit their google site.