Center for Global Leadership Opportunities
The Center for Global Leadership was formed through the 2015-2020 Strategic Plan and continues the legacy of the global work of the Sisters of Notre Dame. The CGL is a multi-programmatic office intended to enhance global citizenship for all students through curricular course offerings, co-curricular programs, and travel and hosting opportunities. Currently, the CGL has sister schools in seven countries and we engage with them through pen pal programs, global classroom projects, academic exchange trips, and collaborative professional development. Use the dropdown menu below to explore these opportunities.
The CGL also offers the chance for students to partake in our Global Citizen Scholar program which creates an intentional focus on global studies and experiences throughout a student’s four years of high school at Notre Dame. This program is separate from our other offerings but many global scholars choose to participate in our various global opportunities.
- In-class projects will be planned and run by two teachers in each country, respectively, and will include both live, synchronous interactions and asynchronous communication to transcend the borders that typically inhibit us from learning alongside our sisters abroad.
- Projects will last between two to four weeks and will result in various forms of live presentations, showcasing learning in the given subject area.
Students can apply to one of several academic exchange trips to our sister school countries. Students can earn .5 “Global Immersion” credit if all curricular work is completed to satisfaction.
- These are immersive and academic experiences that build global competencies necessary to live, work, succeed and lead in our globalized, ever-changing world.
- Students typically stay with host families for a portion of the trip, visit the sister school, and experience the classroom setting as well as special programs tailored to our group.
- Trips often include excursions to other cities and/or places of interest in that country. For example, groups visit the Amazon rainforest in Peru, Kyoto in Japan, Hong Kong while in China and Iguazu Falls in Argentina.
Over 100 Notre Dame students, in both Middle and High School, communicate with a pen pal from one of our seven sister schools either through email or video.
This program often connects with some of our other offerings like hosting and global classrooms, so pen pals get to meet and work together.
Throughout the school year, students from our sister schools will visit for various lengths of time and our students have the opportunity to sign up to serve as hosts for our guests.
This is a wonderful way to expand your global perspective, learn new things from people your own age, and form new friendships.