This is the school uniform policy as outlined in the 2016–2017 Student Handbook.
Because the uniform is a means of establishing a sense of community, parents are asked to support their daughters in complying with the uniform code. The following are the details of the uniform with which students MUST comply:
- Kilts are to be no shorter than five (5) inches above the knee. In individual cases, final determination regarding appropriate length is made by the administration.
- Inappropriate make-up, unnatural hair coloring (red, green, purple, blue, etc.), visible face or body piercings and/or tattoos are not permitted.
- The wearing of scarves, hats, leggings, and sweatshirts other than the approved uniform sweatshirts and/or sweatpants for high school is not permitted.
- From November 1 to March 31, students must wear light or heavyweight navy tights, but not sweatpants, even when going between buildings. Tights without feet require socks to cover the gap between the socks and tights. Students may wear tights on any other cold day.
- Shorts may be worn under the kilt, but they are not to be visible below the length of the skirt.
- Golf shirts must be the traditional white or navy style (with short or long sleeves) and must have either no logo or the Academy of Notre Dame logo. In cold weather, white or blue long-sleeved turtlenecks are permitted under the long-sleeved golf shirts. Tee-shirts may also be worn under the golf shirts, but must be either white or navy blue with no trim or design. No other color turtleneck or tee-shirt is permitted.
- In cold weather, students may wear school navy blue fleece or officially approved uniform sweatshirts. Students are permitted to wear coats when moving from building to building, but they must be removed inside the buildings.
- Students may wear traditional plain brown, black, tan, or navy blue school shoes (no Uggs, no shoes without a back to the heel, no flip-flops, no work boots, no moccasins, bedroom slippers, etc.), or they may wear predominantly white or gray traditional sneakers. No high tops, mid tops, or other similarly styled sneakers in any color other than white, navy, or gray are permitted. Students are to wear visible plain white or navy socks without logos.
- On game days, athletes are permitted to wear the approved team uniform for their sport. More specific guidelines for each sport are available from the athletic department.
- Spirit wear items purchased from the Shamrock Shop are not part of and may not be worn as the school uniform.
- Any questions as to what is or is not “uniform” should be directed to the Dean of Students who will make the final determination.
- Plaid kilt
- Notre Dame fleece or approved school sweatshirt
- Students who choose to embroider their names on the fleece or sweatshirt must put the name in blue on the back of the collar on a gray shirt or put the name in gold on a blue shirt.*
- White or navy golf shirt (with short or long sleeves)
- White turtleneck only under fleece/sweatshirt
- Visible white or navy crew socks only
- Navy tights (from November 1 to March 31)
- Traditional plain black, brown, or tan school shoes or predominantly white or gray sneakers
*Seniors are permitted to wear the “senior sweatshirt” selected for their class as a special privilege.
Notre Dame School Uniform Purchasing Guidelines
- The kilt may be purchased from Flynn & O’Hara by clicking here or by calling (800) 441-4122.
- Golf shirts must be the traditional white or navy style (with short or long sleeves) and have either no logo or the official ND logo on shirts purchased through Flynn & O’Hara or the school store.
- Golf shirts can also be purchased from Lands End. When ordering, use the following school code: 900054131
- Items for the gym uniform are sold for your convenience in Notre Dame’s school store, but may be purchased elsewhere if you choose.
School Gym Uniform
- Navy shorts
- White golf shirt
- Navy sweatpants (winter)
- Navy sweatshirt (winter)